Symantec Backup Exec 2012 has been released. The newest incarnation of the popular disk backup software will be available in two editions: Backup Exec 2012 Standard Edition and Backup Exec 2012 Small Business Edition (for small and growing businesses).
Symantec Backup Exec 2012 eliminates backup complexity through a single solution that unifies virtual and physical, deduplication, and replication while offering a choice among on-premise software, appliance or cloud delivery models that best fits the needs of an organization. No other single vendor provides this level of choice for customers and partners.
New Features and Capabilities
- Powered by Symantec V-Ray technology, Backup Exec 2012 enables visibility across both virtual and physical environments for fast and efficient backup and recovery while eliminating the need for specialized products.
- It also provides single file recovery, deduplication and backup management for VMware, Hyper-V or physical servers in a single product enabling storage and management savings.
New Administration Console
- A newly redesigned administration console will provide users with fast, concise management and monitoring capabilities.
- The new user interface automatically configures the most common policies and settings, drawn both from Symantec’s years of experience and from the Backup Exec community, to allow for quick configuration of systems and protection of data and applications with minimal effort.
Integrated Disaster Recovery
- With Bare Metal recovery and built-in ‘No Hardware Disaster Recovery’, organizations can recover a failed system to a physical server, or to a Hyper-V or VMware guest.
- Backup Exec’s recovery capabilities enable granular restore of entire virtual machines, single files, Active Directory objects, Exchange Emails, or SharePoint documents from any single-pass physical, VMware or Hyper-V backup.
- Backup Exec’s intelligent backup makes it dramatically easier to set up and manage backups by providing a simpler interface utilizing insights from millions of users.
- At-a-glance status is easily available in Backup Exec 2012, both from servers you are protecting and from the storage you are using to store your backups.
Backup Exec 2012 is built around an entirely new user interface that is worlds away from its predecessor in ease of use.
- Part of the simplified nature of Backup Exec 2012 is its creation of storage. If a backup is attempted before any storage has been created, the application prompts as such and presents the corresponding link.
- The first step is to select the general storage type from the list of disk, network, cloud and tape based media, as well as from existing storage pools and media sets or vaults.
- Once the storage type is selected, a list of available media of that type is shown from a list that is updated dynamically.
- Once a storage device is created, its information can be easily accessed and edited by drilling into its icon in the storage devices view. In addition to modifying device name, state and write characteristics, administrators also can edit its logical path and thresholds that correspond to warnings about its capacity.
- The Backup and Restore view lists all servers (as well as other distributed applications), giving administrators an at-a-glance color coded view of the backup status for one week of all systems being serviced. Yellow indicates non-fatal warnings and failures are in red. Drilling into any of these indicators brings up the backup log and additional information about that particular day’s backup job.
Small Business Edition
- Backup Exec 2012 Small Business Edition will install and configure backups in just 3 steps, so that small businesses with limited IT experience can protect their data with ease.
- This edition bundles Symantec’s data and system recovery technology into one solution with a single license that’s designed specifically for a growing business.
- New capacity licensing model for mid-sized and lower enterprises will provide easier purchasing and maintenance by capacity as an alternative to existing a la carte pricing.
- It features a new per-socket licensing model.
- Simplified scheduling.
- Easy data lifecycle management.
- Resource centric management, with a focus on management by exception and ease of deployment.
- Simplified restore experience – Restore Wizards help you decide what, when, and how to restore applications and data.
- Storage management improvements – Graphical visibility into backup storage capacity and utilization.
Backup Exec 2012 has an entirely new user interface. It’s simpler, more intuitive, and much easier to navigate. It presents a greatly simplified experience and provides easier access to its power and capabilities than ever before.
Article Contributor: Satish Kumar