New Release Spotlight: Backup Exec 2012 V-RAY Edition
Janae | On 27, Mar 2012
Symantec Backup Exec 2012 V-Ray Edition is designed to completely protect your VMware or Hyper-V virtual
environments. With advanced host-based virtual protection and integrated deduplication, the V-Ray Edition gives you worry-free backup and recovery for virtual machines and virtualized applications. It also gives you granular recovery of entire virtual machines, single files, Active Directory objects, Exchange emails, or SharePoint documents from a single-pass, host-level backup.
Symantec Backup Exec 2012 V-Ray Edition is targeted at customers who are fully or primarily virtualized – that is, have all their file servers, print servers, application servers, etc. moved into a VMware or Microsoft Hyper-V virtual environment.
With support for Windows and Linux virtual machines, included advanced integrated deduplication, and virtualized application protection, the V-Ray Edition really hits the sweet spot of power, simplicity, and ease of use that demanding IT administrators require.
Unmatched virtual backup and recovery
- Hostlevel backup, powered by V-Ray technology and integrated with VMware Data Protection APIs (application programming interfaces) and Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS), enables host-level backup of entire virtual guests and recovery at the virtual machine, virtual disk, application, file, folder, and granular application data level. Advanced hypervisor features are also supported with both VMware and Hyper-V.
- V-Ray Edition can enable high availability for virtual applications with Virtual Machine Auto-Recovery for VMware. It adds integration of the Backup Exec Management Plug-in 2.0 for VMware with Symantec ApplicationHA 6.0, which enables Backup Exec to automatically restore a failed virtual machine in order to recover lost application services once ApplicationHA has exhausted the steps to remediate the failure.
- Protects your virtualized applications and backup and recover granular data from virtualized Microsoft Exchange, SharePoint, Active Directory, and SQL Server applications. Other virtualized applications like Oracle can also be protected.
One product, any recovery
- With single-pass, host-level backups, the Backup Exec 2012 V-Ray Edition gives administrators a wealth of recovery options from that single, host-level backup. Administrators can recover at the virtual machine, virtual disk, application, and file/folder level.
- Granular recovery for virtualized applications eliminates redundant backups for Exchange, Active Directory, SharePoint, and SQL Servers in virtual environments. From a single, host-level backup of VMware or Hyper-V guest application servers, administrators can restore individual emails, SharePoint documents, Active Directory objects, and SQL Server databases. There is no need for recovery environments, additional virtual machines, or other additional resources to recover granular data.
- Many customers aren’t 100 percent virtualized. Or they have management infrastructure running on physical servers. For those customers who still have some physical systems, backup and recovery for physical environments can be added to the Backup Exec 2012 V-Ray Edition, giving you recovery across your entire environment.
- Reduce storage by up to 90 percent with deduplication, lowering storage costs associated with your backup infrastructure. Shrink your backup storage requirements while making wide area network (WAN) friendly remote office backup a reality. Additionally, deduplication offers significantly greater levels of storage savings versus compression or single-instance storage.
- Powerful encryption, with 128-bit or 256-bit Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) encryption to disk or tape-based storage devices, ensures your critical data is secure whether in transit or at rest.
Victory over complexity
- When you purchase the Backup Exec 2012 V-Ray Edition, you get the ability to protect supported virtualized applications, deduplicate your data with integrated deduplication, and the ability to do host-level, single-pass backups of unlimited guests running in either VMware or Hyper-V virtualization systems.
- Includes intelligent defaults for backup and recovery. The V-Ray Edition automatically configures backup and restore operations with intelligent defaults, drawn from both Symantec’s expertise in data protection and from the most successful policies and settings from the Backup Exec community. These defaults take the guesswork out of comprehensive protection, so that you can quickly protect your data and applications with minimal effort.
- Power and simplicity combined, Backup Exec 2012 V-Ray Edition has streamlined many aspects of backup and restore configuration, management, and reporting. The same award-winning capabilities and level of in-depth functionality that backup administrators expect from Backup Exec are still available in the product.
- Easily restore virtual machines, virtual machine disk (VMDK) and virtual hard disk (VHD) files, individual files/folders, applications, databases, or granular objects from a single image backup in seconds with patented V-Ray technology.
- Virtual Machine Validator easily validates the recoverability of full VM backups via the vSphere client console.
- Best of breed data deduplication to optimize any backup strategy with client, media server and appliance data deduplication.
- Automatic indexing of all files and application data for fast recovery.
- Protects a broad range of applications and databases in a virtual environment with support for almost all disk and tape storage devices.
- Innovative and modern administration console makes it easier than ever to set up backups, manage backup policies, view backup status and perform recoveries.
- Integrated with VMware’s vSphere vStorage API’s and Microsoft VSS.
- Agentless backup of virtual machines.
- Easily reduce data backup storage by 10:1 and shrink the backup window while optimizing network utilization across physical and virtual environments.
Symantec Backup Exec 2012 V-RAY Edition has just been released. V-Ray Edition offers unparalleled capabilities for virtual backup and recovery. V-Ray is a group of Symantec technologies that gives customers additional visibility into your virtual machines and applications. This additional insight helps to break down physical and virtual silos and enables transparent backup and recovery across your entire environment, with a single application. This unified protection allows you to more confidently secure, protect, run, and recover business-critical systems as well as reduce complexity and costs that can result by having multiple point solutions.
For great deals on Symantec Backup Exec 2012, and other Symantec software, check out SoftwareMedia.com.
Article Contributor: Satish Kumar