E-Learning Software Review: Camtasia vs. Captivate
- Mason Hymas
- On January 4, 2012
There are many programs out there that allow you to create computer-based learning experiences and tutorials. But when it comes to professional e-learning software, there are two that stand out among the rest: Adobe Captivate and Camtasia Studio.
In this e-learning software review we will cover the top two paid e-learning programs out there, as well as a more serious and robust suite.
Captivate and Camtasia
Both of these excellent software programs can record screen, mouse and keyboard activity as you go. Audio and video integration in Captivate and Camtasia helps you produce professional quality demonstrations and tutorials, complete with the ability to click on hot-spots to move to a different part of the program. Quizzes are also offered in both programs, allowing you to test the knowledge your users have gained from your presentation.
The main question you need to ask yourself when reviewing whether to use Camtasia versus Captivate is, what level of interactivity do I need? The second question is, what is my budget?
Camtasia allows for full motion recording to create HD quality software demonstrations for training purposes. You can record everything on your screen in one movie. If these are the main functions you need and desired interactivity is limited, Camtasia is for you. Camtasia does have hotspot and quizzing features, but compared to Camtasia, those features are more limited. Regularly $299, Camtasia Studio is available at SoftwareMedia.com for just $295.00.
Bottom Line: use Camtasia for budget-conscious narrated demonstrations where you are showing a user something.
If you are looking for a little more complexity in your demonstrations and have a more flexible budget, Captivate might be for you. Team members can contribute content to your project without modifying the design. Assessments and quizzes are robust, with a large variety of question types and randomization. Controls, skins and templates are customizable. Regularly $799, Adobe Captivate is available at SoftwareMedia.com for just $594.99.
Bottom Line: use Captivate when your budget is slightly more flexible, you need more interactivity and you want users to try something themselves
Looking for an even more robust eLearning software program?
Adobe eLearning Suite
Not only is Captivate included with your package or download of eLearning Suite, you will also receive Flash, Dreamweaver, Photoshop Extended, Acrobat Pro, Presenter and Soundbooth. This suite is even more flexible with editing, multiple formats on a single recording, and complex software demos. Users with knowledge of Director or Flash will find this suite appealing as it can handle multiple different input sources. Regularly $1799, Adobe eLearning Suite is available at SoftwareMedia.com for just $1735.00.
Bottom Line: eLearning Suite is for serious professionals who have the budget and manpower to utilize all of its features.
Other points to consider when reviewing e-learning software:
• Learning curve – who will be using the software? Are they already familiar with Adobe products? If not, there may be a decent learning curve to use the full functionality of programs like Captivate or eLearning Suite.
Camtasia Versus Captivate at a Glance
|Record On-Screen Actions|
|Edit Your Content|
|Table of Contents|
|Import Digital Video Clips|
|Team Project Collaborations|
|Drag and Drop|
|Customizable Widgets - games, charts, new question types|
|Websites & Blogs|
iPad, iPhone, iTunes
|MP3 Audio Only|
|PDF Embed to PDF Files|
25 Microsoft Excel Shortcut Keys September 9, 2011 | Kyle Fordrung
Professional Video Editing Buying Guide November 20, 2008 | Kyle Fordrung
New Release: Techsmith Camtasia Studio 8 – Now Available... June 20, 2012 | Kyle Fordrung
Record your desktop with Camtasia Studio 8... October 9, 2012 | Justin
- Microsoft Visio Standard vs Professional vs Premium
- Graphic Design Software for Beginners
- Top Features of CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6
- Set Up Your Database and Create a Report in Crystal Reports
- Microsoft Open Business Licensing Guide
- 10 Countries with Highest Number of Apple Device Users
- How To Export Quickbooks Data Into Quicken Format
- Primavera SureTrak to be Discontinued
- Data Security in 2016 and Beyond: What Your Business NEEDS To Be Prepared For
- Stay Secure with Advanced Threat Protection in Office 365
- Windows Server 2016 License Changes
- Top 5 Software Programs to Help You Get More From Your Business
- SoftwareMedia.com now recognized as Google Trusted Store
- Security Software Sale! Get Up To 65% Off Popular Security Software
- To Celebrate the End of 2014 We’re Offering Huge Discounts on Big Brand Software!
- Celebrate the Holiday Season With Us! When you Give a Gift, Get a Gift. Details Inside …