A must in any IT arsenal is the ability to completely remove whatever software is installed on their systems. As anyone in IT can tell you, at times you just need to start over. Removing Symantec Endpoint Protection may be one of those scenarios. Rumor has it that Symantec has a removal tool to make deleting the program easier than getting a BSOD in Windows ME. Is it true, or another fantasy like a network printer working upon plugging in the CAT-5 cable?
How to Troubleshoot Endpoint Errors
The Symantec Endpoint Protection security suite combines antivirus, backup and recovery software. Many businesses use this suite due to the ability it gives users to access corporate networks. System problems such as corrupt files and conflicting applications can affect your Endpoint product’s ability to function properly. If your Endpoint product malfunctions, you can repair it with manual procedures.
The first step recommended by Symantec is to perform the common uninstall/reinstall option. This is a simple and, in most situations, an effective method:
- Press the “Windows” key. Click “Computer” and select “Uninstall a Program” under “Programs.”
- Select the Endpoint product that you wish to repair under the list of installed programs.
- Click “Uninstall” and click “Next” at the on-screen prompts to finish the removal process. Restart the PC.
- Place the Endpoint installation disc into the computer.
- Press the “Windows” key. Click “Computer” and double-click the drive letter that corresponds to the CD-ROM.
- Click “Next” at the setup screen. Read and agree to the terms and conditions of the license agreement.
- Install the Endpoint product in the “Program Files” folder. Click “Next” at the prompts to complete the installation. Restart the PC.
- Launch the Endpoint product and continue with normal use.
CleanWipe Removal Tool Option
There may arise a situation that the above uninstall/reinstall method will not suffice. In those extreme cases, Symantec has a tool in place to completely wipe your hard drive of all traces of Endpoint Protection called CleanWipe. It being a very powerful removal tool, CleanWipe is available only through Symantec itself. Here’s how to request it:
- Contact Symantec – Phone: 800-745-6061 Email: Fill out the Symantec email form Chat: Join a live chat session
- Inform them you have tried all prior recommended steps (uninstall, reinstall, etc) but now require the CleanWipe removal tool
- If the the support engineer isn’t aware of the tool, let them know they can search for details on it through the Symantec internal KB.
- Hold on to any case numbers they give for reference. If you do not get any reply after 24-hours, visit Symantec’s forums and post a comment with your case number. Their moderators should get back with you quickly.
Please Note: Symantec recommends using CleanWipe only as the final solution for removal of Endpoint Protection. The proper uninstallation routines should always be tried first. If you haven’t tried the recommended solution already, Symantec will probably require you attempt those methods before sending CleanWipe.